I am suffering from what I am calling – theSecond Draft Blues.
As I am going through a lot of emotional turmoil with this terrible condition, I thought I would list out the tell-tale signs so other writers can be on guard.
I think this affliction is worse for those of us who:
- Finished writing their first draft on a serious creative high.
- Got totally carried away with their first draft.
Here are the signs:
- After reading through their ‘rested’ first draft the writer’s happy and glowing expression changes to one of total misery.
- The writer’s huffing and puffing levels will increase.
- The writer will struggle to re-connect with their first draft and say things like “did I write this?” and “I don’t feel like I know these characters anymore!”
- The writer may call their second draft a ‘changeling’.
- When they are not staring blankly at their first draft…
View original post 236 more words